Vanessa Mona, Director of Care Experience at Henry Ford Health System, walked the audience through her company’s technology transformation.
Mona began the final keynote presentation of the day at the 2018 Customer Experience Leadership Forum held on April 17 in Chicago by stating she was going to talk about how her company chose a vendor to help transform where the company wanted to go as a brand, with what technologies, and how those new technologies were implemented system-wide.
“We’re one system, but we had different technologies at each of our locations, so it was a different patient experience at each location.” Specifically, the goal was to standardize televisions and patient entertainment experience across the entire system. Involved in these discussions were everything from the Chief Operation Officer’s council to housekeeping. The system had 1600 televisions of various ages from several manufacturers. In addition, two of the hospitals were at least 90 years old, so they weren’t set up for installing the most up-to-date technology in patient rooms.
“We’re one system, but we had different technologies at each of our locations, so it was a different patient experience at each location.”
“We had a pre-bid supplier workshop to understand the current marketplace, become familiar with the new technology in the industry, develop three to five requirements per participant, and unite all of the Henry Ford Health System in transforming this aspect of patient care. As it turned out, everyone in the system was looking for the same things in this new technology,” said Mona. These criteria were:
– Multiple delivery platforms: LCD or LED televisions, tablets/mobile devices, and patient-owned devices (BYOD)
– Integration with EMR (electronic medical records)
– Digital whiteboards
– Digital discharge documentation
– Digital surveys
– Internet-protocol television
– Meal ordering
“We sent out RFPs to 11 supplies that had been solicited. We were fully committed to ‘changing the channel.’ Eight suppliers responded, and four were invited back to present their solution. From those four vendors, we selected the top two. We required the technicians from these companies to walk through every single one of our hospitals and look at the infrastructure, the televisions, and the rooms. From that, we were able to get our final and best pricing and choose our best stakeholder, Sonify Solutions. The vendor presented its solution to our System Patient Family and Advisory Council, and our patients really liked it.”
“We required the technicians from these companies to walk through every single one of our hospitals and look at the infrastructure, the televisions, and the rooms. From that, we were able to get our final and best pricing and choose our best stakeholder.”
The result was Henry Ford TV, which offers the following:
– Entertainment packages
– Education modules
– Whiteboard functionality
– Care-team information
– Integration with dietary/meal ordering, pharmacy, and retail
In addition, Mona’s team wanted this technology to:
– Set patient expectations
– Expand and streamline communication with staff
– Keep patients, families, and their care providers informed
– Empower patients to actively engage in their care
This new technology accomplished the following:
– Standardized to a sole-source supplier
– Standardized to one of three make/models of televisions: LG and Samsung
– Standardized entertainment content and engagement modules
– Reduced costs: Operational – $646,000 | Capital – $98,000
– Improved patient experience
“Following the implementation of this new television technology, we’ve seen from a one percentile increase to a sixteen percentile increase in patient satisfaction at our hospitals,” she stated.
In summary, Mona outlined the following lessons learned:
– Engage the team as early as possible
– Have supplier workshops
– Do site walk-throughs with vendors
– Self-assess the current status of infrastructure, technology, etc.
– Location, location, location. Know where to provide services.
– Engage your patient community.
– Partner with your suppliers and take advantage of their expertise.